Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Diary Of A Hiking Virgin

Why is it that the first time you do ANYTHING it's the hardest? I've been blogging for years and years about my photography and can do it in my sleep but writing about hiking???? Well, here goes:

I guess the place to start is by introducing myself and my place in the hiking world. I didn't have one. I was the girl that when everyone else said "let's see what's on the other side of that hill..." I said, " uh, yeahhhhhhh, you go on ahead and I'll just, hmmm, sit in the car and read. I mean, I used to like to go up in the hills a bit back home in Santa Barbara, but breaking a sweat???? Then I moved here...To North Scottsdale and only an hour and a half from magical Sedona, and I got intrigued by the landscape. It started with little walks around Airport Mesa and then one day last year we parked at Bell Rock, I stared at the opening to the trail and took a deep breath....and did it.

...and I never felt more alive.

Deadman's Pass, Sedona AZ
So this is the place that my journey began and my journal begins...I'll be posting about different hikes and camping trips future and past. My experiences with trails, trail foods and equipment. I invite your comments, conversations and tips as I chronicle my little life with bigger and littler hikes.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Cia on both the blog and activity. I tried Camelback with Melissa the other day to find that we were ill prepared. I will let you know when we summit. K2 is still a lifetime or three away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith! Camelback is quite an accomplishment, considered to be one of the tougher hikes in the valley.

    I'm officially training for the Grand Canyon and will be tackling Camelback soon as part of that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Welcome to the world of hiking...one of my favorite things to do. There is so much involved in the experiences you will enjoy.
    Savor every moment...as I am sure you will.
    Blessings!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete