Monday, January 31, 2011

Where To, Next?

I've decided that I want, no, am going to hike the Grand Canyon. I thought at first about going down Bright Angel Trail to Phantom Ranch and back up to the South Rim, but a conversation with the Guide we hung out with in Sedona last weekend changed my mind....to change the location to Havasupai.

So here's the thing that made me change the location; Bright Angel is about 9 miles down and 9 MILES UP! Havasupai is a little longer, about 12 miles to the bottom and about $85 gets me a ride back up in a helicopter. Talk about Cheap Thrills! Add to this beautiful blue green waters and the chance to see Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls in person, Nirvana, ahhhhh!

I'll have to really train for this. I'm up to about 4 miles now and figure I'll have to add a mile a month to be able to do this hike by next Fall. I'd love to have your help with training tips for this, what will be the longest hike so far.

By User:Moondigger (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-2.5 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5)], via Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, this sounds very exciting. I guess as far as training goes you will need to really work on your quad strength to cope with the long distance downhill.

    Followed through on a link via Networked Blogs.

    ReplyDelete