Monday, April 25, 2011

The Grand Canyon and Me, The Changes Over TIme

Out On A Ledge                                                                                      ©2011 Jeff Felske
Some twenty plus years have gone by between my first experience at the Grand Canyon and a spontaneous day trip this Easter weekend. Google maps claimed the drive time as three hours and forty six minutes from my house to the park....a world away from the big city congestion of Phoenix and a universe away from the girl that I was.

I dimly remember the other trip, probably because it just wasn't my thing back then so I didn't file the memories away in that box labeled 'Precious'. I hated the idea of hiking, even walking was labeled "too pedestrian" in my book, and I was merely curious about this big gaping hole labeled one of the World's Great Natural Wonders.

Time changes all and today the parking lot at Mather Point is gigantic, 250 parking spots labeled by animals and numbers a la theme parks, albeit still a short walk to the South Rim Trail. Back then you got out of the car and could almost see the edge from your hood. I remember this because I got out of the car, close enough to be able to see just...how...far...down...it...was, clutched and refused to take even a step farther out of fear. Good enough was a glimpse in real life that showed me less than what the IMAX movie in Tusayan hinted at but hey, saw the movie, got the concept, right?

As the park has improved, so have I. Upgraded changes have smoothed soil and gravel into  handicapped accessible concrete and asphalt trails. Long shallow steps and rails now give safe harbor to even the most fearful. Twenty years of growth has given me a love of the gravel under my feet and fear has been replaced by the innate curiosity to see past the obvious.

As I stood on the edge of the rim balancing in the wind gusts I marveled at the immense grandeur of the scene around me and the fear behind me. The world is a wonderful place as I look 360º around me to appreciate what life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment