Thursday, April 14, 2011

Papago Park West Trails

Ok, I admit it....I haven't been out. I caught the Swine-Asian-Bird-Spanish-Hong Kong flu and after 9 days in bed walking around the block left me breathless. But, the ground was calling me. Enter my friend Charlotte, business coach and owner of Moms With A Passion, who wanted to mix business with pleasure as much as I did.

Trail #5 Papago Park West Trails                                                         ©2011 Marcia Mauskopf

We met at the Elliot Ramada Trailhead, a comfortable place for a picnic or casual meeting, with bike racks, water fountain and covered picnic table. The beauty of Papago Park is that you can have a pleasurable desert hiking experience in the middle of big city Phoenix.

The loop trail here is 2.7 miles, part of a network of trails and service road that crisscrosses the park. The loop takes you along the base of Double Butte, skirts the golf course and gently brings you back again. Along the way we took photos, marveled at the glowing pink ears of a jack rabbit backlit in the morning sun and talked about art and whether we should try one of the butte incline trails (the heart was willing but the lungs not so much). Back at the ramada we shared almonds, talked about life and business, laughing at the cactus wrens and squirrels checking out Charlotte's snack bag. A great morning getting my lungs back in shape and enjoying an oasis in the city.

How To Get There:
Take the 101 Loop to 202 West (Red Mountain Freeway). Exit at Priest Drive. Going  North on Priest which will turn into Galvin Parkway. Turn left on Papago Park Road. This will turn right into the parking lot for Elliot Ramada Trailhead. The trail is just beyond and a service road suitable for wheelchairs is to the right and goes up to Elliot Ramada, located at the base of Double Butte.

2 comments:

  1. It was indeed a great hike. I love getting in touch with the earth like that, thanks for meeting me there so we could hike together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure...can't wait to do it again with you...maybe Usery or Dreamy Draw next time ;-)

    ReplyDelete