Friday, August 5, 2011

Bell Rock Pathway - Sedona, AZ

So, I had a couple of business type things to do in Sedona week before last and really wanted to take a hike in the somewhat cooler temps out of the city.....and it started raining. Going  on the rocks was out, too slippery for my tastes so I thought I'd finally try Bell Rock Pathway, a baby safe route that winds it's way to  Bell Rock or, taking the longer trail, winds it's way around Courthouse Butte for a leisurely 3 1/2 miles.

I drove to the parking lot, a half mile south of Bell Rock just off SR 179 and by then the rain had turned into a refreshingly soft drizzle. Grabbed an ever present trekking pole and I was on my way down the level path.

Hiking Stick or Lightning Rod...you decide.                                 ©Marcia Mauskopf 2011


I was giggling at myself carrying the pole (bum knee and all) when I heard a sudden crash of thunder, look up and laughed "how cool, thunder...thunder!" looked at the metal pole in my hand and panicked "OH CRAP! LIGHTNING ROD!!!" just another Monsoon Day on a Sedona trail.

How to get there:
Take SR 179 to Bell Rock Pathway turnoff in the village of Oak Creek. Good Facilities, paved lot, bathroom, wide graded trail. You will need a Red Rock pass for this lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment