Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Those campfire recipes ~ Easy Fruit Crisp

What's for dessert? It doesn't matter if I'm at home or in camp I hear this phrase...sometimes it's someone else, sometimes its in my own head. Every one's ears perk up when they hear this one...apple crisp, anyone? You can make this with any kind of pie filling and adding dried fruit makes it even better.

This was made in a 10" dutch oven, but if someone out there has found a different way to make it, please let me know.

You'll need:
1 dutch oven liner
aluminum foil
1 can pie filling (I like apple and peach)
4 packets maple/brown sugar instant oatmeal
1 stick butter
non-stick spray
charcoal
dutch oven.

Light 20 coals. Lightly grease liner with non-stick spray then spread pie filling evenly. Top with instant oatmeal then dab butter over the topping (the more butter the better in my book).

Crumble 4 balls of aluminum foil and place on bottom of dutch oven. This will hold your liner above the surface of the dutch oven ensuring more even cooking. Put liner in oven and make sure lid is on tight. Place oven on 8 evenly spread coals and put another 12 coals on the lid. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.


Easy Fruit Crisp.This one is Peach, I later made it better with the addition of dried blueberries. Copyright M. Mauskopf 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment